Importing old PGP key

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Wed Aug 13 18:04:42 CEST 2008

>Message: 6
>Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:54:18 +0200 (CEST)
>From: "Kiss Gabor (Bitman)" <kissg at ssg.ki.iif.hu>
>Subject: Importing old PGP key

>I have the same problem as was answered by David Shaw in 2004:
>http://osdir.com/ml/gnu.gnupg.users/2004-06/msg00022.html
>(Converting a veeeery old PGP key (2.6.3ia) to GnuPG.)
>
>However the method he suggested does not work for me:
>

>$ gpg --s2k-cipher-algo cast5 --edit-key 0x5D144299
>gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.6; Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation,
>Inc.
>This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
>Secret key is available.
>
>pub   512R/5D144299  created: 1999-04-12  expires: never
>usage:
>SCEA
>                     trust: unknown       validity: unknown
>[ unknown] (1). hun.admin.news
>
>Command> passwd
>Key is protected.
>gpg: protection algorithm 1 (IDEA) is not supported
>gpg: the IDEA cipher plugin is not present
>gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq/why-not-idea.html for
>more information
>Can't edit this key: unknown cipher algorithm
>
>Command>
>

>What should I do?

get the IDEA algorithm
ftp://ftp.gnupg.dk/pub/contrib-dk/ideadll.zip

unzip it, and save it to any folder
(for illustration, let's say it was saved as 'c:\gnupg\idea.dll')

add this line to your gpg.conf :
load-extension c:\gnupg\idea.dll

then follow David's suggestion

then consider following Robert's suggestion ;-)
(generate a new key,
and decrypt whatever files are encrypted to the old key,
and re-encrypt them to the new key)

n.b.

if, for some reason, you still need to communicate
with die-hard pgp 2.x users,
(relax, i'm one of them ;-) )

then i suggest you generate a 2047 key in pgp 2.x
and re-import it to gnupg,
and use the option of --pgp2 whenever you need to communicate with
a pgp 2.x user)

(some 'really early' versions of pgp 2.x,
had a max of 2047, not 2048 ;-) )
and current versions of gnupg won't let you generate a v3 key,
and even if you have an older version that does,
it's not such a simple procedure to generate a pgp 2.x compatible
one...)

otherwise,
just use the 'default' for gnupg key generation

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Save hundreds on getting a Web Design Degree. Click here.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4fMueeRt35OAiMiGkjJoGEtl2rsF0s2foIDgKh4LdeW5s0NJ/