Securely delete files...

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Aug 20 09:21:24 CEST 2008

Vlad "SATtva" Miller wrote:
> It employs Gutmann's methodology on secure file erasure, so there
> *is* a study of its effectiveness.

No one in the private sector has ever claimed to be able to recover data
overwritten even once.

Think about it this way.  The next two people you see today, one of them
is carrying my tiger-proof rock, and the other one isn't.  You can't
tell whether my tiger-proof rock is actually working, because there are
no tigers around trying to eat people.  So my tiger-proof rock is really
effective, huh?

The next two hard drives you see today, imagine one of them is shredded
by the Gutmann method and the other one is overwritten just once.  You
can't tell whether Gutmann's method is effective, because there's nobody
able to read either.  So Gutmann's method is really effective, huh?