Securely delete files...

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Aug 20 10:08:32 CEST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:32, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> However, as you are asking this question of the GnuPG list, I suspect
> you mean to ask about GnuPG.  GnuPG does not have a secure delete
> feature.

Let me add that one reason for not providing a secure deletetion feature
is that gpg is Unix tool and as such it is usually operated in a
pipeline and does not work directly with files.

Most Unix systems these days have secure deletion tools like shred(1) or
wipe(1).  However, I doubt that they are any effective when used with
modern disks.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--