Securely delete files...

Chris Walters cwal989 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 22:51:50 CEST 2008

Mark H. Wood wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:00:19PM -0400, Chris Walters wrote:
>> I hate to tell you this, but the F.B.I. Computer Forensics Laboratory has
>> successfully recovered data from a drive, where the platters were shot multiple
>> times with a shotgun.
>>
>> The only sure way to make sure no one can recover your data is to put it into a
>> blast furnace (this would be hot enough to melt the whole thing into a puddle,
>> and would cause substantial mixing between the ferro-magnetic alloy and the
>> titanium internal structure.
>
> Have they ever tried a disk that's had the coating polished off with a
> wire-wheel chucked into a portable drill?  Dust is usually fairly
> random.
>
> Or how about supposedly happened to the Purple cipher machine just
> before Pearl was hit:  hammered to bits, dissolved in acid, poured in the
> flower beds.

Don't really know.  You'd have to ask the F.B.I.  Reducing the entire drive
(including the chips) to dust would probably do about what I suggested would.
That is, it would likely make it impossible for anyone to recover data from the
drive.  As would placing it in a nuclear reactor, and probably doing a thousand
other things.  I just like my method, because once it congealed, you'd have
modern art.  LOL.

Regards,
Chris