Securely delete files...

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Thu Aug 21 00:20:03 CEST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Chris Walters wrote:

> I hate to tell you this, but the F.B.I. Computer Forensics Laboratory
> has successfully recovered data from a drive, where the platters were
> shot multiple times with a shotgun.
==============

that wouldn't surprise me, but is there a reference for it?

i would think the hard part would be finding all (enough?) of the pieces.
was the platter actually shot? or just the case?

> The only sure way to make sure no one can recover your data is to put it
> into a blast furnace (this would be hot enough to melt the whole thing
> into a puddle, and would cause substantial mixing between the
> ferro-magnetic alloy and the titanium internal structure.
================

even then, some smart-ass will eventually come along and demonstrate how
data can be recovered, even from the lump of metal ;)

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"A nation that continues year after year to spend
 	 more money on military defense than on programs
 	 of social uplift is approaching spiritual death."
 		-- Martin Luther King, Jr.