Securely delete files...

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Aug 21 08:34:25 CEST 2008

Chris Walters wrote:
> Ah, yes.  The obligatory warning.  One method that I suggested would get the
> gold star for dangerous, foolhardy, do not do:  Placing your hard drive in the
> core of an active nuclear reactor.

Better than some ideas I've heard.  (E.g., use ClF3 to scour the
platters.  Only problem: ClF3 will almost certainly not scour the
materials... but it will probably cause you to oxidize quite nicely.
Along with causing the oxygen in the air to oxidize.  And the fire
extinguishers.  And the sand buckets.  And...)

Strangely, ClF3 is used pretty commonly in the computer industry,
particularly in fab plants.  This is one reason among many why I'm so
glad I'm not an EE.