Securely delete files...

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Sat Aug 23 15:48:01 CEST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, David Shaw wrote:

> OS X is an interesting case.  The standard filesystem, as you note, is
> HFS+ with journaling.  Usually this is a danger sign for shredding as
> the shred process doesn't know all the information it needs to do a
> proper shredding job.  However, Apple has shredding built-in to OSX, and
> since both the shredder and the filesystem come from the same people,
> it's at least possible that they did the necessary work to have this
> shred properly (i.e. in a journal-sensitive way).  Did they actually do
> this?  I have no idea, and would be curious to hear from someone who
> does have a reference on this one way or the other.  Apple tends to be
> fairly stingy about this level of detail.
=================

test it!

fill a file with a few hundred copies of a random hash. as a control,
delete the file the normal way and try to find it on the disk (i'd expect
you can find it). repeat with a different hash, shred the file, and try
again to find it on the disk.

--
         ...atom

  ________________________
  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"The National Government will regard it as its first
 	 and foremost duty to revive in the nation the spirit
 	 of unity and cooperation. It will preserve and
 	 defend those basic principles on which our nation
 	 has been built. It regards Christianity as the
 	 foundation of our national morality, and the family
 	 as the basis of national life."
 		-- Adolph Hitler
 		Proclamation to the German nation at Berlin,