Installation gnupg on Windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 28 10:09:53 CEST 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:25, faramir.cl at gmail.com said:

> run it, and the only other thing it would be advisable to do, is to add
> gpg.exe to Windows's  path environment variable, so you can use it at
> command line from any folder...

I do not think that this is a too good idea.  Newer version of GnuPG (in
particular Gpg4win) add a whole bunch of DLLs and other binaries to this
directory.  Thus they would all be public and wrong DLLs might get used
by other applications.

Since Gpg4win 1.1.0 we use a different approach: The installer adds a
directory to the PATH but that directory just contains those binaries
which you actually want in the PATH.  It is implemented using a wrapper
utility to implement something like a of poor man's symlink.

So my suggestion is to get Gpg4win 1.1.3 and install just the basic
parts wich automagically adds gpg to the PATH.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
Linux-Kongress 2008 + Hamburg + October 7-10 + www.linux-kongress.org