gpg 1.4.9 (Unix) textmode file size limit

Seidl, Scott SeidlS at schneider.com
Fri Dec 5 17:11:58 CET 2008

I ran into an issue today when trying to encrypt a large file (18 MB) with the --textmode option.  We received the following error message from GNUPG: gpg: can't handle text lines longer than 19995 characters.  Can someone explain more about this error and if there are any other limits I need to know about?

I understand the cause of this error (18MB file without any CR/LFs), and that we really shouldn't use it.  I just want to understand more about this limit in case I ever encounter a need to have large records and the - -textmode option.

Thanks
Scott