GNUPG - do I really need this?

REX NUFER RNufer at wakemed.org
Tue Dec 9 20:41:02 CET 2008

Nothing like killing a fly with a sledgehammer!  I have a (seemingly) simple task.  My employers tell me
I need to encrypt a file before I ftp it off site.  To perform this task I'm trying to install gnupg 2.0.9.
Do I need to install this release to do what I need to do, or can I use a 1.4.* version to get this done?  Or are
there any suggestions of any other software packages I can use to accomplish this?  Thanks.

WakeMed Confidentiality Notice:

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the individual
or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of this
message and attachments is strictly prohibited.