Generating Keys by Existing

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Dec 21 22:49:19 CET 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 4:01 PM, niels at toxisch.net wrote:

> Hello together!
> Is it possible to merge some public keys to one?
> Or maybe one after another?
>
> I would like to have one key for my friends, so i can post a message
> them without selecting everyones key.

I think what you're looking for is a "group".  When you use groups,
you define a particular name, and when you encrypt to this name, you
actually encrypt to everyone in the group.

 From the sample gpg.conf file:

# Group names may be defined like this:
#   group mynames = paige 0x12345678 joe patti
#
# Any time "mynames" is a recipient (-r or --recipient), it will be
# expanded to the names "paige", "joe", and "patti", and the key ID
# "0x12345678".  Note there is only one level of expansion - you
# cannot make an group that points to another group.  Note also that
# if there are spaces in the recipient name, this will appear as two
# recipients.  In these cases it is better to use the key ID.

David