Anti-Tempest Fonts, Where?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Feb 5 20:00:34 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 06:16:23AM +0100, George Orwell wrote:
> man gpg
>
> the above cmd mentions anti tempest fonts. what does this mean
> exactly? where are the anti-tempest fonts? i've searched the
> net for them and cannot find them. the only mention of soft
> tempest fonts were within a .zip containing image files claimed
> to be for example only.
>
> do tempest resistant fonts exist?

No.  Or at least, not any longer.  There was a font package available
a few years ago that was an offshoot of some work done by Markus Kuhn
and Ross Anderson at the University of Cambridge.  More recently, they
improved the attack enough that the fonts were no longer effective.

See
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/emsec/softtempest-faq.html

I'll update the manual so it does not reference the fonts any longer.

David