Safe decryption with GnuPG?

Steve Revilak steve at srevilak.net
Wed Feb 6 16:27:13 CET 2008

> I have a file that I encrypted for myself and I want to read some information
> from it. The file is a text file and I need to read several lines of it.
>
> The following requirements must be met:

I was going to suggest

   gpg --decrypt file.gpg | grep "interesting stuff" | banner | less >/dev/null

but I'll try to be more serious. :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of a threat vector are you anticipating?
By reading your list of requirements, the ones I've extracted are

  * Access to sensitive data via system memory is a threat.

  * Access to sensitive data via the file system (i.e. by examining
    swap space) is a threat.

  * Access to sensitive data via the graphics system framebuffer is a
    threat.

  * Access to sensitive data via visual observation (someone sees the
    text on the screen, or takes a picture of the text on the screen)
    is a threat.

As someone else mentioned, this brings up a lot of issues in the area
of trusting the hardware, trusting the operating system and so fourth.
Granted, they are interesting issues, but my gut instinct tells me
that this problem might be easier to solve with physical security.

For example, the first three threats imply that the data has to leave
the system where it is being viewed.  Removing network access to that
system (unplug the ethernet cable, remove any wireless/bluetooth
hardware), would mitigate those threats, no?

As for threat #4, if you're viewing the data in a small, bare-walled,
locked room, you'd be able to tell (a) whether someone else was in the
room looking over your shoulder or (b) whether there was a camera
being pointed at your screen.

And if you don't trust the isolated computer in the small locked room,
you could even go as far as removing its hard drive -- you'd walk in
with a bootable CD that contained your encrypted file, boot up, read
what you needed, then halt.

Steve