How know who is a file encrypted for ?

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Wed Feb 27 18:00:59 CET 2008

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
wrote o Wed Feb 27 15:51:05 CET 2008

==============
>C:\>gpg --recipient-keys ENCRYPTED_FILE.gpg
>gpg: file ENCRYPTED_FILE.gpg was encrypted to the following keys:

actually, gnupg already does this when decrypting,
but only after the passphrases are entered incorrectly for each key

in the example i posted,
here is the gnupg output after intentionally giving the wrong
passphrases for each of the keys:

gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "cccc1 <cccc1 at key.test>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID 756C91DE, created 2005-12-01

:encrypted data packet:
        length: 90
        mdc_method: 2
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 756C91DE, created 2005-12-
01
      "cccc1 <cccc1 at key.test>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID F0E74948, created 2002-
01-15
      "boo <boo at key.test>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 495CA15B, created 2005-12-
01
      "bbbb1 <bbbb1 at key.test>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F9015496, created 2005-12-
01
      "aaaa1 <aaaa1 at key.test>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

c:\gnupg>

so,
a simple workaround to see which keys a message is encrypted to,
is to just type:

gpg filename

and press the 'enter' key quickly and repeatedly until gnupg gives
the 'failed decryption' message, and lists all the keys

(also not too hard to live with ...  ;-)  )

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Need cash? Click to get a cash advance.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dP5JPpivsACr8uRGuNoIGIPHVi2hu11IoWuXXcqfw85CjFt/