ISO-8859-1 mails getting marked as UTF-8

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 28 09:17:59 CET 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:06, mt at martintoft.dk said:

> When sending a mail without using GnuPG (by selecting "clear" in mutt's
> PGP menu), the above configuration results in the following content type

That is your problem.  Clearsigned PGP messages are not well defined.
OpenPGP says that all is UTF-8 and there is no clean way to change that.
Yes there is the Charset armor header but that one is not supported by
GnuPG because it is a kludge not required since 15 years or so (since
MIME).

Please use PGP/MIME and the semantics of your message are well defined.

>   - Invoking gpg with "--charset iso-8859-1".
>   - Invoking gpg with "--display-charset iso-8859-1".

The option --charset (and its alias --display-charset) is used only for
meta data (user IDs, notations) and has no effect on the actual
encrypted or signed data.  We won't do anything in GnuPG about this.
The Mutt folks discussed these issues for many years.  There suggestion
will probably also be: Use PGP/MIME.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner