_almost_ working, now a command line question...

Maury Markowitz maury.markowitz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 21:10:47 CET 2008

So after finally deciding to trust that gpg was giving me an accurate
error, and that the passphrase really was wrong, I spend the last week
scaring up someone within the labyrinths that could actually change
the key to the one that we know works. Presto! Working file.

Lesson learned: You CAN simply copy binary key files from pgp to gpg,
which is really nice.

All that's left now is to fully automate this, and my Windows CMD
noobishness is an issue. Here's my command line:

O:\Utilities>echo o:\apricing\pass.txt | o:\utilities\gpg --homedir o:\utilities
\ --passphrase-fd 0 --load-extension o:\utilities\idea.dll -o "o:\apricing\morga
n_cds_20080229.txt" -d "o:\apricing\24476.txt.pgp"

And here are the results (slightly trimmed to protect the innocent):

Reading passphrase from file descriptor 0

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Polar Securities Inc <kszeto at polarsec.com>"
2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 3E396FC9, created 2000-10-27 (main key ID F0ED5CDC)

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, [snip]
gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase

pass.txt absolutely has the right key in it. I tried both | and >, the
later did nothing at all (which I guess makes sense).

Anything obvious here?

Maury