Question about history of hash and cipher collections

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 14 19:40:14 CET 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:24, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> There isn't a really dramatic reason for it.  Adding algorithms to
> OpenPGP involves a rough consensus among the OpenPGP working group.
> With Serpent, that consensus never really happened.

FWIW, about 7 years ago we had an informal meeting of OpenPGP
implementors and we agreed that we should try to keep the list of
supported algorithms short.  Meanwhile it had turned out the the
preference system works quite well and that for political reasons
(e.g. national regulations) we may need to add other algorithms in the
future.  That is actually not new thing, RIPEMD-160 has been in OpenPGP
since the early days because European telcos and governments like that
algorithms.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner