Question about history of hash and cipher collections

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jan 16 07:22:27 CET 2008

Kevin Hilton wrote:
> From my limited knowledge, the default GnuPG settings are to create a
> 1024-bit DSA signing key, a 1024-bit ElGamal encryption key, a 3DES
> symmetric cipher, and SHA-1 hash.

Incidentally, with 1.4.8 it defaults to a 2048-bit DSA/Elg keypair and
SHA256.  There is no contradiction between what you read and my "use the
defaults!" creed.

That page was written before DSA2 was widespread, and right after some
major cracks were showing in SHA-1.  I should update the page to reflect
the changes since then.