IDEA

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jan 29 19:39:57 CET 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:59, alon.barlev at gmail.com said:

> Gentoo is providing this only if a user specify build from source and
> ask idea explicitly.
> Also Gentoo enforces dropping idea when binary redistribution is made.

This has nothing to do with binary vs. source distribution. The GPL
clearly states that you can't distribute it as part of it.  We all know
that IDEA is patented because it was the main motivation to write gpg.

I suggest to remove all that idea stuff.  If someone needs it for a
crypto workbench, the modules feature of libgcrypt can be used for that.

I also consider helping an idea patenter by linking to his web site a
bad idea.  That company has several times tried to force me to advertise
that the gnupg docs should mention that idea can be bought from them.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner