File Extensions supported by GnuPG.....

Bhushan Jain bhushan1988 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:40:07 CEST 2008

Hi,
I am using Bouncy Castle Libraries(a JAVA library for PGP
encryption(rfc2440)) for encrypting the files.
If I use any other extension than .gpg for the output encrypted file and try
to decrypt the file using command-line GnuPG the following error message is
shown:--------

Unknown Suffix.

Now if I change just the extension of the same encrypted file to .gpg and
then try to decrypt using GnuPG, it works fine.

Also, due to similar experiences what I have understood is that GnuPG
supports following extensions for following cases:---

Encryption----->  .gpg

I don't know if my understanding is correct or not. Can someone please state
clearly which extensions are supported by GnuPG for following file
types:--------

1. Encrypt only
2. Sign only
3. Encrypt and sign