question about hkp protocol

kurt c kurtc1972 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 07:59:08 CEST 2008

Hello. I have a beginner question, I hope you guys don't mind.

I'd like to know why it is that when the key server website is in the hkp
protocol, I can never access it through my web browser. For example, if I
type the url hkp://random.sks.keyserver.penguine.de into my Firefox browser,
it will say: Firefox doesn't know how to open this address because it's not
associated with any program. I similarly can never export my public key
through my GPA if the key server is in the hkp protocol. Can anyone
enlighten me as to the reason for this? How can I access hkp sites?

Thanks.