--export/import-ownertrust

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 23 09:33:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:17, dave.smith at st.com said:

> I've searched on the net, but I can't find much about what the
> --export/import-ownertrust do, beyond what is in the manpage.  What is
> actually stored in this exported ownertrust database?

These commands are used for backup or to migrate to a newer version of
GnuPG with a changed format of the trust database (We had this case many
years ago; however gpg did this for you on the fly).  So backup is the
main purpose.

The format is very simple:

  B4D94345B0986AB5EE9DCD755DE249961B012345:3:

The first field is the fingerprint of the key and the second field is
the ownertrust you assigned to that key ("never trust" in this example).

Publishing this information is not a good idea because you tell the
world how far you trust the holder of that key to correctly verify
others keys.  This won't be a security issue but the holder of the key
might get upset if he notices that you do not trust to correctly sign
other keys.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner