Key Flags

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Mon Jul 28 21:36:07 CEST 2008

I am trying to understand the differences between the key flags sign and
certify.  As I understand it all self-signatures are a type of
certification so the primary key needs certify, but not sign.  A subkey
can have sign and not certify.  Also, when signing someone elses user id
or user attribute the signing key must have certify.  The sign flag is
used for signing things not part of the web of trust such as emails,
software, etc.
--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl at north-winds.org
http://www.north-winds.org/

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B