re; compatible between GnuPG 1.4.7 and PGP 6.5.2

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Thu Jul 31 16:04:22 CEST 2008

sandra.de.groot at nl.abnamro.com sandra.de.groot at nl.abnamro.com
wrote on Thu Jul 31 14:12:42 CEST 2008 ;

>is the GnuPG 1.4.7 version working with PGP 6.5.2?

it can be,
but only if the gnupg user uses the option of
'--pgp6'

>One of our customers is using  GnuPG 1.4.7
>and we are using PGP 6.5.2
>and now we got problems with decrypting the message?

pgp 6.x is relatively old,
and does not include AES (Rijndael) or Twofish

if the gnupg user, by default uses AES
(as is quite likely)

then pgp6.x will not be able to decrypt

am curious,
why are you still using pgp 6.5.2 ?

is it because you have commandline pgp 6.5.2 ?

if you like/need commandline,
gnupg commandline is incomparably better!
(and free ;-)  )

if not,
and your staff is just 'comfortable' with pgp
you might try using the latest version of pgp 8.x
(available at zedz)
which has the 'feel' of 6.5.2
but allows for AES and TWOFISH

(even with pgp 8.x
you should caution gnupg users to use the option of
'--pgp8'
otherwise you might not be able to verify their signatures using
SHA-512
(or, less likely, SHA 224 or 384))

dag

vedaal

--
Find the perfect summer camp by clicking here now!
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dpyJNFwpgEUWQQzYd0roWA40luSry7Pk6EgW8vnltuzhyvd/