GNUpg Version 1.4.8 on Solaris 10 (Sparc)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 31 16:08:45 CEST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:13, satish.alreja at gmail.com said:
> We have just installed gnupg-1.4.8 on Sparc/Solaris 10. Is it possible to use
> gpg to encrypt a file using private key and passphrase (under program

Yes:

   gpg -cer alfa at example.net </etc/motd >foo

While decrypting gpg ask you forthe passphrase if the secret key for
alfa at example.net is not available.

> control) and send it to a remote user ? The remote user should be able to
> decrypt the file with the public key sent by us.

Nope.  You use his public key to encrypt
       He uses his secret key to decrypt

Alternativley you can use the passphrase to symmetrically encrypt and
decrypt.  (That is what the option -c creates).

Please do not use gpg 1.4.8 but 1.4.9.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner