Switching to new Windows Box

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Tue Jun 10 03:30:22 CEST 2008

RD wrote:
> My friend uses windows. Her company is replacing her laptop. She knows
> how to re-install gnupg but is unsure what to copy/export and what
> folder to place the keys on the new box.
>
> What should I tell her or where to I point her to read (RTFM) on the web?

Copy gpg.conf (if it exists) and the three .gpg files (pubring.gpg, secring.gpg,
trustdb.gpg) from %APPDATA%\GnuPG on the old machine to the new machine.

%APPDATA% usually expands to (subject to any localization)

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data

Running 'gpg--version' on the old machine will tell the location of the present
keys. (Home: ......)

Running 'gpg--version' on the new machine will create the directory as well as
show the location.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"