LD_PRELOAD attack

michael graffam michael.graffam at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:58:48 CEST 2008

Not a real solution, because if LD_PRELOAD is already set, then the
shell you type unset into might be overloaded as we'll, already.

You can't trust strcmp() or getenv() either, since the preloaded lib
could be hooking them on you.

I've was able to write a stealthed lib which successfully hides itself
from calls to getenv, and ignore attempts to unset env vars.

Manually walking the environment pointer reveals it, of course.