Camellia

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jun 13 21:12:20 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 01:38:16PM -0400, John W. Moore III wrote:
> vedaal at hush.com wrote:
>
> > how hard would it be to write a patch for an option of
> > --try-all-symmetrics
> > or
> > --use-symmetric-name
> > that would ignore the cipher number and try all of them,
> > or try only the one specified ?
> >
> > ( disclaimer:
> > *not* a feature request for the gnupg team :-)
> >
> > only a workaround thought
> > for the hackers who choose to enable Camellia now )
>
> FWIW, vedaal, Camellia 128, 192 & 256 have been incorporated into the
> GnuPG Source already.  They have been assigned the placeholders S11, S12
> & S13 respectively.  There are already 'hackers' [risk takers?] who have
> built GnuPG with these algorithms enabled. [Werner, David & Marcus
> collectively shudder]

Well, I do reserve the right to point and laugh if someone ignores the
warnings and ends up losing data (for cripes sake, GPG with Camellia
even prints out a warning every time you run it).

The Camellia draft has been submitted for sponsorship in the IETF (see
it at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-openpgp-camellia-03.txt).
Pretty soon there will be official Camellia support and the warnings
will go away.

David