PGP bug? Does not recognize primary uid

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 16 17:31:42 CEST 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:11, j.lysdal at gmail.com said:

> Well, at the time it was absolutely clear to me that it was a bug in
> PGP, since it would just be another one on the list(And yes, many of the
> bugs in PGP are ridiculous) Guess i was just wrong on this one.

The RFC states this:

  5.2.3.19.  Primary User ID

   (1 octet, Boolean)

   This is a flag in a User ID's self-signature that states whether this
   User ID is the main User ID for this key.  It is reasonable for an
   implementation to resolve ambiguities in preferences, etc. by
   referring to the primary User ID.  If this flag is absent, its value
   [...]

Thus there is no requirement to care about this flag.  Nevertheless it
is a pretty useful information and in particular useful if you are able
to change algorithm preferences - without that flag there would be no
clean way to keep one user IDs displayed first.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner