Oh Dear, Pin Entry Broken on openPGP card!

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 23 11:57:59 CEST 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:18, eddrobinson at gmail.com said:

> Returns, among the usual blurb this:  PIN retry counter : 3 0 3.  I am pretty
> sure that this should say 3 3 3 or 2 2 3 or 0 0 3.  basically the first and
> second digit (which refer to the unlocking pin) should always be the same.  3
> 0 3 should not happen....

The second retry counter is used for the second PIN.  In general gpg
tries to sync the second PIN with the first PIN but that may fail under
some circumstances.  Note, that it is not an unblocking PIN but the PIN
for used for the decryption key.

> $ gpg --change-pin
>
> 1 - change PIN
> 2 - unblock PIN
> 3 - change Admin PIN
> Q - quit
>
> Your selection? 2

Try 1 (change PIN).  This should sync it again.  BTW, you may do the same by
using

  $ gpg --card-edit
  Command> admin
  Command> passwd