About my prefered settings...

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Jun 24 14:56:53 CEST 2008

On Jun 24, 2008, at 12:27 AM, Faramir wrote:

>  Thanks for the answers. I am a bit confused about if I should use
> names like aes256 or codes like S9. Also, do I have to include all the
> cipher/digest/compress algorithms available to my installed gpg, or
> just
>  one or two? The idea would be "if you can, use this one, if not, do
> as
> you wish/can"

S9 and AES256 are the same thing.  Use whichever you like.  I'd
recommend using the full name - the S9 thing is really just backwards
compatibility to an older version of GPG.

For personal-blahblah-preferences, list the ones you want to use when
you make messages.  If that list fails (because your recipients can't
all handle them), you'll end up with 3DES.  Similarly, when setting
preferences on your key, list the ones you want other people to use
when they make messages for you.  Again, if that list fails (because
the other recipients of the message can't all handle them), you'll end
up with 3DES.

>  Also, I couldn't locate the list of equivalences between names and
> codes, like AES256 - S9 in the gpg.man file... I found a list using
> google, but it is for an older version, which didn't include all the
> things available in version 1.4.9...

gpg -v --version lists all the number codes, but again, use the names.

David