A small question about GnuPG 2

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 29 12:10:17 CEST 2008

On Saturday 28 June 2008, Faramir wrote:
> Well, as far as I know, it adds support for s/MIME... and if I am not
> wrong, that would mean certificates like the ones issued by CAcert,
> Comodo, et all... But, is GnuPG capable of generating those
> certificates? Or we will still require OpenSSL or equivalent to make
> them?

GnuPG 2 includes a script called gpgsm-gencert.sh that can be used to
generate an X.509 certificate request. I don't think gpgsm can be used
to generate certificates; from gpgsm's man page:

=====
       --gen-key
              This  command  will  only  print  an error message and
direct the user to the gpgsm-gencert.sh
              script.
=====

Regards,