OpenPGP card stopped working

Sven Radde email at sven-radde.de
Sun Mar 9 15:05:54 CET 2008

Hello!

I was quite happy with my OpenPGP smartcard under Ubuntu until to the
point where it simply stopped working.

This is what I currently get:
$ gpg -v --card-status
gpg: selecting openpgp failed: unknown command
gpg: OpenPGP Karte ist nicht vorhanden: Allgemeiner Fehler

Apart from applying the regular patches, the only action I remember that
could possibly have an impact on GnuPG was installing the "seahorse"
package. However, removing it again did not change anything.

Both, card-reader and the card itself run fine under Windows on the same
machine.

Any ideas? Or, for starters, any hints to produce a more meaningful
error message?

Thanks in advance,
  Sven