Offloading encryption to crypto card?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Mar 13 15:49:13 CET 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:51, eocsor at gmail.com said:

> openssl could be an option, as I gather that supports a few crypto
> accelerators. I presume it would use them when calling openssl enc.

Well, it is about bulk encryption and thus it is an I/O problem.
Today's general purpose CPUs are faster than average accelerators.

> 2008/3/13 pub crawler <pubcrawler.com at gmail.com>:

>> We have large hundred and more megabyte files that we are regularly
>> encrypting and decrypting as needed.

It should be possible to tune gpg for better performance for large
amounts of data.  Increasing the internal buffers should help.  gpg is a
general puspose tool and designed to work with a low memory footprint.

Another option would be to write a module for doing the bulk encryption
part in an optimized way.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner