gpg-agent/ssh-add asking for passphrase at first usage

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Mar 31 06:17:59 CEST 2008

Axel Thimm wrote:
> some years ago I did create a nice "gpg-agent --enable-ssh-support"
> setup that would register ssh keys with the agent, but the agent
> would only ask for the passphrase when ssh would try a connection.
>
> Now I upgraded my system and this doesn't work anymore.

What exactly doesn't work?  You don't get any password prompt for
either your ssh nor gpg keys?  Or you get the prompt for both now
instead of having your ssh key automatically added?  Or something else
entirely?

> Now my questions are:
[...]
> - *why* did it break with the update? The old system has gnupg 2.0.8
>  and the new one 2.0.9. But the Changelog doesn't indicate anything
>  that would make these two behave differently.

Is the new system running another agent, like the seahorse agent?  I
think that might be on by default now, and it provides similar
functionlity to gpg-agent and ssh-agent.  Maybe it's causing problems?

That's just my half-educated guess. ;)

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.