filtering signed email with thunderbird

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Fri May 2 17:54:20 CEST 2008

Better to ask on a Thunderbird list.  I think that the best way to
tackle this problem will be independent of GnuPG and specific email
formats.  Thunderbird "knows" quite a lot about a message by the time
it is ready to present it, and it is not unreasonable to ask that all
of this knowledge be made available to filters.  So rather than
constructing elaborate match expressions for, what is it? three very
different ways of signing mail, I'd suggest finding a way to just ask
the guts of Thunderbird whether a message was signed, whether the
signature was verified, what public key matched, and anything else
your filter needs to make a good decision.

If Thunderbird doesn't provide that kind of information to filters
then it sounds like a nice subject for an extension.

(Sorry, I only use Thunderbird when mutt isn't readily available, and
never very elaborately, so I can't be more specific about it.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he