playing with cryptography...

Bill Royds Apple at royds.net
Sat May 3 22:39:41 CEST 2008

On 3-May-08, at 03:34 , Werner Koch wrote:

> As usual I have to mention that what you mean is the Web of Trust
> (WoT)
> as used by default in PGP and GPG.  In contrast to X.509, OpenPGP
> allows
> the use of any kind of trust model with its framework.

Yes, you are correct. The WoT model was developed by Phil Zimmerman
for PGP but OpenPGP has expanded on it.
That is one reason that OpenPGP is better than  X.509, which forces
you to a single trust model, and to trust unknown certifiers.
Are you sure that you trust the Government of Taiwan to certify web
sites for SSL as Firefox does by default?