RFC4880 format without using keyrings?

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Sun May 4 20:40:48 CEST 2008

I am programming in python (Sugar/OLPC) and would like to take a private key
(-----BEGIN DSA PRIVATE KEY-----... in a file) and a file and output a
signature of that file using that key, in valid RFC4880 format (including
extra signed data). Later, I'd like to check that same signature using the
public key - again, just a file, starting with ssh-dss. Is there any way to
do this with GPG - that is, to use gpg for signing, without having any
keyrings or any "identity", just some keys as generated for ssh? If so, how?
If not, can anybody recommend a python module that outputs RFC4880 format,
or comment on whether this one
<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/OpenPGP/0.2.3>can be trusted for
security?

Jameson