how long should a password be?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon May 5 10:36:16 CEST 2008

Matt Kinni wrote:
> Everyone says it should be as long as possible

Not at all.  At some point the passphrase becomes stronger than the
symmetric encryption algorithm.  Then it's time to stop.

> where it's just impossible to remember anything longer than 20
> characters.  What do you think?

I think if you can't remember a phrase longer than 20 characters, you
should seek immediate psychiatric help.  :)

Throwing out just a few memorable phrases, all substantially long than
20 characters:

* They gave me a medal for dreaming of you.
  (Leonard Cohen, _Book of Longing_)

* Beware the fury of a patient man.
  (John Dryden, _Absalom and Achitophel_)

* The worst are filled with passionate intensity.
  (William Butler Yeats, _The Second Coming_)

* listen: there's a hell of a good universe next door; let's go
  (e.e. cummings, _pity this busy monster, manunkind_)

* Come with me, ladies and gentlemen who are in any wise weary of
  London: come with me: and those that tire at all of the world we
  know: for we have new worlds here.
  (Lord Dunsany, _Prelude to the Book of Wonder_)

* Vor allem: pflanze mich nicht in dein Herz.  Ich wüchse zu schnell.
  (Rainer Maria Rilke, _Sonnets to Orpheus_ 16.)

As these examples will hopefully show you, there's no shortage of
magnificent, easy-to-remember passphrases.

... and why, yes, I _do_ have a liberal-arts degree.  Would you like
fries with that?  :)