Can't sign & encrypt from command line

Andy McKnight andy.mcknight at gmail.com
Fri May 9 16:23:47 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm running gpg 1.4.9 on Vista.  When working with files from the command
line I can encrypt or sign but I can't do both.  The results I get as are as
follows:

gpg -a -s -e file.txt
Encrypts the file only.  I cannot verify a signature on this file, I get the
following message.
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: verify signatures failed: unexpected data

gpg -a -e file.txt
Gives the same result as above

gpg -a -s file.txt
Signs the file and I can verify the signature.  Produces an armored output
file which looks encrypted but can be decrypted without a passphrase prompt
with:
gpg file.txt

Is this something I'm doing wrong or is this a problem?

Andy.

--
key id: 0x6A8BAF97
fingerprint: 0AF9 F0A4 52D2 9775 F996 2027 41AD C31B 6A8B AF97