Protecting private key on USB flash drive: how to?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri May 9 21:26:42 CEST 2008

vedaal at hush.com wrote:
> (b) erase the hidden volume from the truecrypt container
> (Peter Guttmann 35 pass, should work fine, considering the next few
> steps)

Have you even read Gutmann's paper?

Gutmann's paper is meant for wiping data from physical drives, not
software drives.  The 35-pass number is also a misreading of Gutmann's
paper: you use the proper schedule for whatever your underlying hardware is.

I don't think you've thought this through.  I think trusting a scheme
like this is very unwise.  I think we're also far away from what's
on-topic for GnuPG-Users, so I'll just leave this thread at that.