Protecting private key on USB flash drive: how to?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat May 10 08:53:55 CEST 2008

Faramir wrote:
> Ok... but I think I would use this at my university, and there the
> computers are safe enough...

They are probably not.  I would strongly recommend talking to your local
IT support group and finding out firsthand how much of a malware problem
they've had with publicly accessible computers.

Universities are the computer equivalent of biowarfare research
facilities.  They're some of the most hostile, bot-compromised networks
out there.

> and a malware would need to make changes to windows registry in order
> to be loaded each time the computer start...

Sure.  But it's malware.  It uses exploits.  It's not going to respect
the same rules that you have to play under.