Linux crypto killer apllication

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Thu May 15 06:33:39 CEST 2008

gabrix wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008 23:45, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> gabrix wrote:
>> > All these features are for linux from command line or together to other
>> > command line softwares and not really friendly for newbyes  .
>>
>> GnuPG is not a Linux application.  GnuPG works on many, many different
>> OSes.  Keeping it as a command-line application allows the GnuPG
>> developers to stay focused on making GnuPG work on a ton of different
>> systems, and not getting tied to one particular platform.
>
> Posix  application maybe !

Windows and DOS, HP/Compaq/DEC's VMS, and IBM's OS/2 and the MVS and VM
mainframe operating systems are normally not considered to be POSIX
OSes. Even if they do have POSIX subsystems bolted-on.

A measure of GnuPG's success is its porting to non-POSIX operating systems.

>> Two last words o' warning.
>>
>> First, I am not a GnuPG developer.  They are, of course, free to do
>> whatever they like.  That said, I'm pretty sure my representations here
>> are accurate.
>>
>> Second, your reply-to is root at somedomain.  This is probably a very bad
>> idea.  It suggests that you're using the superuser account as your
>> normal user account.  If you're doing this, then please create a normal
>> user account as soon as possible and start using that.  It'll save you a
>> ton of grief in the long run.
>
> And if it is an alias ?

Then it would be a poor choice from a system administration viewpoint.

Only machine processes should send mail as 'root' and the alias is to
direct it to administrators.  It shouldn't be used as a general mail
address.

You are, of course, free to do as you please, but others will continue
to assume and conclude you are using the root account for general use
and will judge you based on that as Rob has already suggested.

--
John P. Clizbe              Inet: JPClizbe (a) tx DAWT rr DAHT con
Ginger Bear Networks        hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net