playing with cryptography...

Hardeep Singh hs2412 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:24:57 CEST 2008

Hi

> The OpenPGP trust model is a proper superset of the centralized hierarchical
> trust model most often seen in the X.509 world. Several years ago Matt Blaze
> made the observation that commercial CAs will protect you against anyone who
> that CA refuses to accept money from.

Well, that may be true, but there are currently no options that are
significantly better. The WOT model used by GPG is better? Maybe, but
not significantly.

> Most Class I Certificates only prove you have control of the email address. Not
> that you actually are who the name and email purport to be.

There is nothing that can prove who you say you are. State provided ID
cards only prove that you were able to convince the system that you
have a specific name.

Let me know if you feel differently.

Regards
Hardeep