gpg & kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 24 15:55:15 CEST 2008

On Saturday 24 May 2008, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri May 23 2008, Nicholas Sushkin wrote:
> > You need gnupg2 package for KMail to support S/MIME.
>
> well, I found that you can change the path for gpg 1.4.9 using
> the ./configure --prefix=PATH. so I recompiled it with /usr/bin
> instead of the default /usr/local/bin. SO, gnupg installs by default
> to /usr/local/bin, per the INSTALL file:

Almost anything that you compile yourself is installed to /usr/local by
default. /usr is reserved for installed packages. Installing
self-compiled packages to /usr isn't the best idea because those
self-compiled packages will be overwritten as soon as you install a
pre-compiled version of the same package. OTOH, pre-compiled packages
are never installed to /usr/local.

> yet, kmail was looking specifically for /usr/bin/gpg.

To be precise: gpgme was looking for /usr/bin/gpg (probably because
that's were gpg was to be found when gpgme was built).

Regards,
Ingo