playing with cryptography...

reynt0 reynt0 at cs.albany.edu
Sat May 24 22:36:27 CEST 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Faramir wrote:

> reynt0 escribió [format slightly neatened by reynt0]:
>
>> is "Philosophy 101 stuff" (as RJH said), but the subject
>> is serious and important, IMHO, and the more people can
>> be aware of this on like a Philosophy 401 basis the less
>> at-risk they will be.
>
>  Wow... not even wikipedia knows what Philosophy 101 and 401 are....

I apologize.  College course numbering in the USA often follows
a standard scheme, where the 1xx series is for first year courses,
2xx is for second year, and so on; x0x would be the most basic
courses at a level, x1x would be more advanced at the level,
and so on; so 101 is the lowest level, least advanced introduction
to some topic.   RJH's "101" in this context was a common way to
criticize that something was superficial (if I understand RJH's
post correctly).  401 would be a fourth year course, and is a way
of asserting the topic can be significant.  I actually spent a
little bit of time deciding whether to say "401" or "501" (where
501 would be first year graduate level course, 601 would be
second year graduate, and so on), but decided that at a good
university a competence should taught by the 4xx level (and
not worrying about whether it should be 401 or 425 or 446 or
whatever ;-) ).

HTH.  Sorry if you or anyone else wasted much time searching
for the clarification.