Removing all installed versions of GNUPG

Barry Smith bnsmith001 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 23:36:12 CEST 2008

Hello, Giangios.

| 3 installations of GNUPG.

I would follow the following procedure --
1) I would carefully and politely (aka, politically)
~   research why there are three gpg's installed on
~   the server.

2) Then I would update the "correctly" "standardly"
~   installed version of gpg.

3) Then I would politely send out an email/memo to all
~   parties involved in the non-standard copies of gpg,
~   and inform them that
~      "The latest version of gpg has been installed
~       on the server in [the standard library].
~       Please contact [someone] about using the
~       latest version of gpg.  This change will
~       happen on end of day Friday [2008/05/23]."
~   Please, use all of the politeness that you can in
~   this email/memo, because you want the users to
~   contact you voluntarily to make sure that they
~   are using the correct gpg.

4) Cron a script to run on [2008/08/23] to delete
~   the two wrong gpg directories.

Optionally --
5) In the cron'd script, create symbolic links from
~   the old directories to the new directories.

Sidebar tech ref guidance --
~   Copied from a web page --
~   > ln -s [TARGET DIRECTORY OR FILE] ./[SHORTCUT]
~   >
~   > For example:
~   >
~   > ln -s /usr/local/apache/logs ./logs
~   >
~   > This points a symbolic link "./logs" to "/usr/local/apache/logs"

~   Symbolic links in some of the "Unices" can have their own overhead
~   (OS is picky about doing "rm -r" when a Symbolic link is
~   encountered).  On the "Unices", Symbolic Links work super effectively
~   for program execution, and data access.

As everyone is probably aware (probably), on the
"Unices," all individual keyrings are stored in
a ".gpg" directory under each user's "/home/[user]/"
directory.  I point that out so that I can point
out the central point... that updating a central
version of gpg should be invisibly impactless to
any and all users, once they correct the use of
the different/alternate/deleted versions of gpg.

Further comment --
I ran across a similar problem in Windows.
1) One was needed by Cygwin (Linux under Windows),
2) one was needed by my email program (Thunderbird), and
3) one was needed by a GPG file toolpack (GPG4Win)
that I use regularly.

I determined that it would be easier to
- -- do the installation into the default location (which is
~   where the GPG4Windows looks), and then
- -- Do the installation again into the location that my email
~   program looked for GPG, and lastly
- -- build the gpg for Cygwin from source.

Technical
Yes, during my efforts, I found out that there is a Windows
Environment variable (as well as a cygwin/"Unices" alias) that
can be set for GPG to look in one location for the executables...
not PATH, but another one, something like gpgpath... the gpg
docs are really written from a Unix/Linux perspective, and
should cover this in perfect detail for your Linux-viewpoint.

Best of Luck.

Let me know off-list if there is anything else that you want
to ask me directly about this task.

Peace,

Barry Smith

giangios wrote:
| Hi to evrybody,
|
| I am not very familiar with linux and I have found out that GNUPG was
| installed more than once on the server. There was already a
preinstalled one
| and trying to install and configure the last version I have realized
that I
| have now 3 installations of GNUPG.
|
| How can I remove all the installations?
|
| Shall I go to the build directory and type 'make uninstall'?
|
| This would work in the 2 I have installed (maybe), but what concerning the
| preinstalled version.
|
| Could somebody explain me how to remove all the installations?
|
| Thanks

- --

Barry Smith (2008-01-21 2048 no expire)
<bnsmith001 [at] gmail [dot] com>
Public Key ID : 0xBA649960
Key fingerprint : BAF9 A3F3 DF31 5038 1D72 442C 80E9 FF84 BA64 9960
If you can't find my key, tell me what keyserver to upload it to,
or ask my to send it to you directly.

Checked by Norton 360 All-In-One (http://www.symantec.com).

Peace and Love!