Signature semantics

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Tue Nov 4 19:18:23 CET 2008

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
wrote on Tue Nov 4 17:58:49 CET 2008 :

> It is not the place of GPG to modify the plaintext.

ok

>GPG should just provide necessary primitives to solve this,
>and it does:

>gpg --sig-notation
>"whatever at example.com=I encrypted this to Baker!"
>--sign --encrypt  blah.txt

>The notation will be hashed into the signature and cannot be
removed
>without invalidating the signature.

ok,
works nicely,
but needs a user to be reminded to do it ;-)

how about a friendly gnupg reminder prompt:

gpg: you have chosen to sign with 'u' and encrypt to 'r'
gpg: would you like to add a sig-notation "encrypted-to-keyname-r"
y/n

>All that said, doing this isn't a cure-all.  Alice (the signer
here)
>may not want her intended target to be public.

then, in that case,
(where Alice chooses 'n' to the above well-meaning prompt)
how about this as a feature;

when gnupg decrypts and verifies,
if there is a delay of more than 1 minute between signing and
encrypting,
then gnupg gives the following 'alert':

gpg: message is signed and encrypted
gpg: signature made at time x, encryption made at time y
gpg: duration between signing and encrypting: time z
gpg: please verify with sender, also check time of e-mail sending

now, even if the attacker goes through the trouble of altering his
computer time-clock to the time of the signature and then encrypts,
there will still be an unmistakable 'suspicious' delay in the e-
mail sending

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Click here to find your roomate.  Search 1000's of available roomates.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4erX3HxVZjXoEdVXXcPEngXmDbFclbyT5HN6w3H14Uqq2qMv/