keyboard sniffing - old topic, more info

reynt0 reynt0 at cs.albany.edu
Tue Nov 4 21:43:48 CET 2008

Some months ago the topic arose of sniffability of keyboard
sounds, about which I gave a little information.  I now see
that some researchers in der Schweiz recently did sniffing
of keyboard EMF radiations which might be of interest here
(http://lasecwww.epfl.ch/keyboard/ (note the lab name includes
crypto, "Security and Cryptography Laboratory")).  They mention
success from some distance away, including through walls.

Further giving urls, I gave no cites before about sniffing
of keyboard sounds, so here are some :-) :
from 2004:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=1301311
(need a login to download full article, but can websearch it)
And followups/derivatives (maybe need a login to download full):
from 2005:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1102120.1102169
from 2006:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1180405.1180436