GPG.conf Cipher Preference

chr0n0 rookcifer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 03:41:20 CET 2008

I am trying to get gpg to encrypt files with a certain cipher preference.  I
am using Gentoo Linux, btw.  I have my gpg.conf set-up like so:

default-preference-list S10 S9 S8 S4 S2 S7 S3 H10 H9 H8 H11 H3 H2 H1
personal-cipher-preferences S10 S9 S8 S4 S2 S7 S3
personal-digest-preferences H10 H9 H8 H11 H3 H2 H1
personal-compress-preferences Z3 Z1 Z2

I am using a DSA2 (3072 bit) pub key along with an Elgamal sub-key (4096).

My problem: Whenever I encrypt a file it always uses 3DES.  I have noticed
that I can change the order of 3DES and CAST5 and it will encrypt with
whichever comes first.  However, it totally ignores TWOFISH, AES(all of
them) and BLOWFISH, even if they come in front of 3DES and CAST5.

I have already checked and I have all of the above algorithms compiled into
my kernel.

Now, if I add:

cipher-algo TWOFISH

it WILL use TWOFISH to encrypt files.

So, my question is, if I use this flag to always make it encrypt with
TWOFISH, will that allow me to communicate with those who are not using
TWOFISH on their machine?  Can I add more than one cipher to the
"--cipher-algo" flag?

What is the difference in "cipher-preferences" and "cipher-algo?"  I take it
that cipher-algo only allows one cipher, thus my question.

Thanks in advance.